Saturday, January 15, 2011
The 60th Regiment of Foot (Royal American Rifles)
Well, here they are. The 60th Rifles. It seems that due to the popularity of the "Sharpe's" series of novels and the TV show (starring Sean Bean), the 95th Rifles are the way almost all wargamers building a Napoleonic British army go for when it comes to their skirmishers. It may well be that because I've never read the books or seen more than an episode of the show, that I was completely comfortable with going for the 60th instead. That, and it was companies of the 60th who were attached to the Guards Division at the Battle of Salamanca, our starting point for all of this madness.
I showed you all some of the conversions I did to get a lot more variety out of the Perry Riflemen plastics here. I'm happy to report that, once painted up, you can't really tell that they're conversions : )
The chap below, leaping over a GW Fence, was the most fun to pose. And amusingly enough, it wasn't until I had primed him that I realized there was a little Snotling head poking out from under the log. After chuckling about not having seen it earlier, despite photographing it and putting it on this blog, I clipped of the Snotling's nose and filled in the hollow with putty and a small stone. Job done.
In the game Lasalle you don't remove casualties as you go, but instead your unit suffers Disruption points (DISR) as it goes along. Under certain circumstances you can reduce the number of DISR your unit has taken, but if the number of points you've taken equals the number of bases in your unit, then the entire unit is removed from play. Way back when I first met Sam Mustafa (Lasalle's author) and did a report on the game for Wargames Illustrated, I met Jay Laura, a great painter who had done up some cool DISR markers for his 28mm figures.
What you see above is my first homage to Jay's work, the DISR marker for my 60th Rifles. As the unit has 6 bases (50mm x 50mm) I used a hexagonal base. Once I've put together other DISR markers for my army, I'll go through and put little numbers on the edges so that I can show exactly how many disruption points each unit has taken. Sure I could use dice, but we all know how that goes...
PS. You may have noticed a new item on the right column of the blog. I thought it might be fun to track a few things throughout the year. See how my hobby progresses. Enjoy : )